Apple Cake is one of our most loved recipes and can be served as dessert or a breakfast coffee cake. Spiced with cinnamon and lemon zest it’s a fruity delight.
Slightly moist, light and spongy, this cake will leave you smiling, reaching quickly for a second slice. With less then 116 calories per piece, we could easily afford it, don’t we?
You’re going to love this cake! It’s a super easy to make.
- 700 grams (1.54 lb) apples Golden Delicious or Granny’s Smith
- 2 eggs
- 90 grams (⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon) light brown sugar or granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon grated
- a pinch of salt
- 110 grams (1 cup minus 1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour sifted
- 75 ml (¼ cup + 1 tablespoon) low-fat milk
- 12 grams (3 teaspoons) baking powder
- Optional: sugar to sprinkle on top and icing sugar for dusting
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F).
Grease and flour a 22 cm (8.5 inch) pan and set aside.
Peel, core, and thinly slice the apples.
Place the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer, and beat until thick and creamy.
Add the flour, baking powder, and milk, and beat until well combined.
Add two thirds of the apples to the batter and mix with a wooden spoon or a spatula.
Place the batter in the prepared pan.
Arrange the remaining apple slices over the top of the batter.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (optional).
Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Dust the low fat apple cake with powdered sugar before serving.