These yummy Tuna patties with Cilantro are low on carbs and calories and big on flavor! These can also be gluten free and just as delicious if you swap out almond meal for the breadcrumbs. Plus, they are made from canned tuna so they’re totally budget friendly!
What I love about the recipe is that I almost always have the necessary ingredients in the pantry and fridge, the patties are incredibly easy and quick to make and they taste great!
All you need to do is chop a few ingredients, mix everything in one bowl, shape into patties and shallow fry for a few minutes and you’ll have a tasty and satisfying meal. You can eat these tuna patties on their own with a side salad and sweet potato fried, or you can turn it into a burger with layers of tomato, lettuce, a slice of cheese and a drizzle of Sriracha…perfect!
These patties would also make a great snack – they even taste good cold straight out of the fridge. You can pack them up in tupperware and take them with you to work, school, college, University…or anywhere else you need to go.
Each tuna pattie contains around 100 calories, 11g protein and under 5g carbs! So they’re excellent if you’re trying to lose weight or if you’re on a high protein, low carb diet.
- 25 ounces canned solid white tuna in water(five 5-ounce cans)
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro coarsely chopped, plus a few sprigs saved for garnish
- 1/3 cup , plus 2 tablespoons, plain dry breadcrumbs (or almond meal for a gluten free option)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (Greek yogurt can be used instead)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 to 1 1/2 lemons)
- 3 jalapeno chile peppers , finely chopped, ribs and seeds removed unless you like it a little spicy
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a large strainer, in the sink over a large bowl, add the 5 cans of tuna and let them drain while you prepare the following ingredients.
Sauté the onions for about 8 minutes in a sauté pan, until translucent. Set aside and let cool.
While the onions are cooking, in a large mixing bowl, add the mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper and whisk till combined. Then add cilantro and peppers to the mixture.
Add the tuna, beaten eggs, cooked onions and breadcrumbs, and mix gently until ingredients just hold together.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil on high for about a minute, then turn it down to medium high.
Working in batches, using a packed one-third cup measure of tuna mixture per patties, cook patties until golden brown and crisp on the outside, about 3 minutes per side. You may need to add a tablespoon of oil to the pan between batches. Recipe makes 14-16 patties it depend how big patties you make.Sriracha AioliIngredients
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 cloves small garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Sriracha
- About 3 shakes of cayenne pepper
Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.